Community Health Worker
Position Title: Community Health Worker
Salary: Competitive, DOE
Status/Hours: 40 hours per week
Reports to: Patient Support Supervisor
Our community health workers work with clinic care teams to engage patients and provide them with education and tools to make healthy lifestyle choices and manage their own health and diagnoses.
ABOUT THE WALLACE MEDICAL CONCERN
The Wallace Medical Concern (WMC) is a Federally Qualified Health Center making a visible difference in improving the health outcomes of our community. As a rapidly growing patient-centered primary care home, we’re committed to offering high quality programs based on the most promising and progressive best practices. We’re deeply rooted in our dynamic, vibrant, multi-cultural—and underserved—community. We believe that health care extends beyond the exam room, and focus on serving the whole person with support and resources that engage them fully in creating good health.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Community Health Worker
- Assesses the patients’ social determinants of health and health literacy, utilizing screening tools and questionnaires to assess the patient’s living situation, health literacy, safety, and mental health needs.
- Supports patients in accessing community resources such as shelter, food, transportation, etc. and social services related to employment, food security, education, etc.
- Guides patients in overcoming resistance to using services.
- Provides culturally and clinically appropriate medical health education and information to patients and coaches patients in making healthy lifestyle changes.
- Assists patient in making small measurable goals, and acts as a mentor to support patient as they work towards accomplishing them.
- Acts as the patient’s advocate and health navigator, assisting them in understanding the most appropriate use of health care resources.
- Participate in community outreach events.
- Works with the Primary Care Teams to outreach to patients with complex health and those who are high utilizers of hospital and Emergency Department services in order to remove barriers to care.
- May facilitate, coordinate and organize group education or group provider visits.
Wallace Team Member
- Update policies and procedures as needed
- Maintain strict patient confidentiality
- Comply with all applicable laws and fully cooperate with the Wallace compliance program
- Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement initiatives
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Bilingual/bicultural proficiency required, spoken and written
- Excellent interpersonal skills, commitment to teamwork, and ability to work with people of diverse ethnic, social, economic, and cultural backgrounds
- Desire to work with underserved communities
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work prioritize work independently
- Proven ability to use critical thinking and attention to detail
- Solid computer skills, including use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access)
- At least 1 year experience working in community building, outreach, or advocacy
- Experience assisting clients facing multiple barriers to accessing services and healthcare (such as poverty, language, mental illness, housing)
- CHW certification
- Certification as Enrollment Assister
- Applicants living or working within the Rockwood/Gresham community preferred
- Understanding of an experience using motivational interviewing, empathic inquiry, and trauma-informed care
- Experience with electronic medical records systems (such as Epic)
- Experience with HIPAA
Submit your resume and cover letter explaining why you feel your experience and skills make you a good fit for the role. Please note that applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
Position will remain open until filled.
The Wallace Medical Concern is an inclusive organization that values diversity. Those with experience working alongside culturally specific communities, marginalized groups, and applicants with lived experience around issues of poverty are all encouraged to apply.