Patient Appointment Scheduler (Bilingual)
Position Title: Patient Appointment Scheduler (Bilingual English/Spanish)
Salary: $14+ per hour, DOE
Status/Hours: 40 hours per week
Reports to: Front Desk Manager
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Patient Appointment Scheduler is often the first welcoming connection our patients have with our organization. This position provides exceptional customer service answering incoming calls, scheduling appointments, making reminder calls, and proving support to the reception team.
ABOUT THE WALLACE MEDICAL CONCERN
The Wallace Medical Concern mission statement: “We provide an open door to exceptional health services and connections that support individuals and their families in healthy living.”
The Wallace Medical Concern (WMC) is a Federally Qualified Health Center that is making a visible difference in improving the health outcomes of our community. As a rapidly growing patient-centered primary care home, we’re committed to offering high quality programs based on the most promising and progressive best practices. We’re deeply rooted in our dynamic, vibrant, multi-cultural--and underserved--community. We believe that health care extends beyond the exam room, and focus on serving the whole person with support and resources that engage them fully in creating good health.
JOIN THE WALLACE TEAM
The WMC staff is our greatest asset in providing essential, high-quality health services to the greater Portland area. And as the community we support grows, our team grows with it. We offer an exceptional workplace the values individual contributions, cultural diversity, and ongoing learning.
When you join our team, you will…
…Be a part of a team committed to helping underserved members of our community
…Work with others in a respectful, collaborative, open environment
…Make a positive difference in the lives of others
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
Patient Calls and Customer Service
- Conduct appointment confirmation and reminder calls
- Answer telephone, direct calls, and assist callers
- Maintain an environment conducive to patient comfort and confidentiality
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Track and report call data
- Manage new patient call lists by insurance payers
- Communicate clearly with nurses, providers, and other clinic staff through electronic medical records system, email, and verbally
- Manage incoming calls from existing and prospective clients
- Conduct new patient registration in electronic medical records system
- Send important client information to appropriate point person
- Promote accuracy and efficiency of scheduling process
- Assist with rescheduling as needed
Front Desk Support
- Provide backup support to reception team as needed
- Assist patients with check-in process and money-handling
- Perform a variety of other administrative tasks as needed, including but not limited to photocopying, typing, faxing, telephone calls, and other general duties
- Performs a variety of duties to store, maintain, and protect the integrity of the electronic medical records system
- Ensures all patient documents are in order and compliant with HIPAA guidelines for scanning and indexing
- Ensures medical record requests are processed according to established guidelines for Release of Information in a timely and efficient manner ensuring accuracy and compliance
Wallace Team Member
- Maintain strict patient confidentiality
- Provide assistance to all medical personnel as required
- Maintain positive working relationships with all staff
- Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement activities according to organization goals
- Comply with all applicable laws and fully cooperate with the Wallace compliance program
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- At least one year of experience working in customer service and/or customer-facing role required
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients and Wallace staff verbally and in writing
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal skills, commitment to teamwork, and ability to work with people of diverse ethnic, social, economic, and cultural backgrounds
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize work independently
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access
Preferred but not required
- Previous experience in the medical or dental fields preferred
- Knowledge of insurance and medical or dental terminology preferred
- Experience with assisting clients facing multiple barriers to accessing services and healthcare, including poverty, language, mental illness, or housing, a plus
- Experience conducting eligibility screenings for services a plus
- Experience working in an electronics medical records system
Duties are performed primarily in an office and clinic environment. Some evening or weekend hours may be required.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Requires ability to sit, stand, lift, carry, read fine print, and communicate in person, in writing, by telephone, and electronically.
Please attach your resume and cover letter addressing why you are an excellent candidate for this role. Note that applications must include a cover letter to be considered.
Position will remain open until filled.
We value diversity and encourage applications from people of color, individuals from low-income backgrounds, and other populations served by The Wallace Medical Concern.