Medical Assistant (Bilingual English/Spanish)
Position Title: Medical Assistant (Bilingual Preferred)
Salary: Starts at $14.25/hr, DOE, Generous Benefits
Hours: 40 hours per week / non-exempt
Reports to: Medical Assistant Lead
Our Medical Assistants (MA) provide skillful support of the clinical team, help manage patient schedules and flow as well as the provider schedules.
ABOUT THE WALLACE MEDICAL CONCERN
The Wallace Medical Concern mission statement: “We provide an open door to exceptional health services and connections that support individuals and their families in healthy living.”
The Wallace Medical Concern (WMC) is a Federally Qualified Health Center that is making a visible difference in improving the health outcomes of our community. As a rapidly growing patient-centered primary care home, we’re committed to offering high quality programs based on the most promising and progressive best practices. We’re deeply rooted in our dynamic, vibrant, multi-cultural--and underserved--community. We believe that health care extends beyond the exam room, and focus on serving the whole person with support and resources that engage them fully in creating good health.
JOIN THE WALLACE TEAM
The WMC staff is our greatest asset in providing essential, high-quality health services to the greater Portland area. And as the community we support grows, our team grows with it. We offer an exceptional workplace the values individual contributions, cultural diversity, and ongoing learning.
When you join our team, you will…
…Bring good health to overlooked and underserved individuals and families in our community
…Collaborate with dedicated staff and volunteers an open, cooperative and respectful environment
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the full patient experience on site and in our mobile clinic, documenting patient history and vitals in the EMR and providing follow-up instructions and help with referrals as directed
- Assist providers with exams and procedures
- Collect and deliver lab specimens an perform CLIA waived diagnostic tests, documenting results
- Perform basic first aid under direction of health care provider
- Under direction and supervision of health care provider, administer certain immunizations, injections and medications, and draw blood
- Monitor client prescriptions, contacting client’s pharmacies with new prescriptions and refills
- Monitor patient lists to include making calls to patients to schedule follow-up appointments
- Update and maintain patient files in the EMR
Care Team Member
- Actively participate in daily huddles with care team
- Work collaboratively with the RN Case Manager and Lead Medical Assistant to ensure proper handling and inventory of medications
- Perform medical office and clerical tasks; greet patients and schedule appointments; provide front office coverage for patient check-in and check-out; respond to telephone inquiries; process referrals and release of information forms; perform data entry and prepare clinic reports
- Maintain examination rooms and laboratory with appropriate supplies and equipment
Wallace Team Member
- Nurture healthy working relationships and practice exceptional customer service with staff, volunteers and patients
- Participate in quality improvement activities and meetings
- Maintain strict patient, staff and organization confidentiality
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Bilingual in Spanish strongly preferred
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant from a nationally recognized program required
- Experience working in a primary care medical setting strongly preferred
- Experience assisting clients with multiple barriers including poverty, language, mental illness or housing
- Excellent interpersonal skills, commitment to teamwork and ability to work with people of diverse ethnic, social, economic, and cultural backgrounds
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize the work independently
- Proven ability to use critical thinking
- Proven attention to detail
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access
- Experience with OCHIN Epic a plus, Experience with HIPAA a plus
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- Perform the duties of the position in an office, clinic, and Mobile Van environment.
- Some evening and weekend hours are required.
- Full-time opportunity.
- Competitive salary and benefits.
- We value diversity and encourage applications from people of color, individuals from low-income backgrounds, and other populations served by the Wallace Medical Concern.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to sit, stand, lift, carry, walk, read fine print, and communicate in person, in writing, by telephone and electronically.
Please send resume and cover letter addressing why you are an excellent candidate for this position.
Please note applications without cover letters will not be considered. This position will be open until filled.