Position Title: Registered Dental Hygienist or Expanded Practice Dental Hygienist
Salary: Competitive, DOE; Generous Benefits Package
Reports to: Dental Director
ABOUT THIS POSITION
As a key part of Wallace’s dental team, our Registered Dental Hygienist or Expanded Practice Dental Hygienist will provide professional, high-quality oral health care and education to a broad range of patients. This position also offers support where needed to ensure smooth, efficient running of the dental program. The Dental Hygienist participates in ongoing evaluation of operations to assure delivery of outstanding patient care that also supports financial sustainability of the program.
ABOUT THE WALLACE MEDICAL CONCERN
The Wallace Medical Concern mission statement: “We provide an open door to exceptional health services and connections that support individuals and their families in healthy living.”
The Wallace Medical Concern (WMC) is a Federally Qualified Health Center that is making a visible difference in improving the health outcomes of our community. As a rapidly growing patient-centered primary care home, we’re committed to offering high quality programs based on the most promising and progressive best practices. We’re deeply rooted in our dynamic, vibrant, multi-cultural--and underserved--community. We believe that health care extends beyond the exam room, and focus on serving the whole person with support and resources that engage them fully in creating good health.
JOIN THE WALLACE TEAM
The WMC staff is our greatest asset in providing essential, high-quality health services to the greater Portland area. And as the community we support grows, our team grows with it. We offer an exceptional workplace the values individual contributions, cultural diversity, and ongoing learning.
When you join our team, you will…
…Bring good health to overlooked and underserved individuals and families in our community
…Collaborate with dedicated staff and volunteers an open, cooperative and respectful environment
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Evaluates patients and implements treatment regimens under the supervision of the Dental Director/Dentist. Provides complete documentation of all findings, treatments and outcomes.
- Makes preliminary assessments of dental conditions and risk, uses patient screening procedures, including medical history review, dental charting and perio-charting; takes patient vital signs as required
- Delivers direct care to patients as assigned, using established dental hygienist procedures, such as cleaning, polishing, x-rays, application of sealants, fluoride varnishes, and related procedures
- Develops and implements individualized dental hygiene plans for patients
- Documents dental history of chief complaint; records and reports pertinent observations and patient reactions to dental staff, as appropriate; documents lab procedures and ensures follow-up on result
- Initiates oral health education and prevention activities
- As licensed and authorized by the Dental Director: performs overall dental risk assessments and referrals, prescribes prophylactic antibiotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, administers temporary restorations (without excavation) and makes impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts, administers local anesthetic and anesthetic reversal agents, and/or administers Nitrous Oxide
- Assists with emergency measures for sudden adverse development during treatment of patients
- When needed, provides chair-side assistance to the dentist in the performance of special tests, procedures and complex treatments
- Performs cleaning and maintenance of dental equipment in assigned operatories
- Assists with preparation of patient care areas, and the patient admission, transfer and discharge process
- Assists, as required, with patient reception, telephone calls, triage or other office duties
Wallace Team Member
- Complies with all applicable laws and fully cooperates with the Wallace compliance program
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement initiatives
- Participates in health literacy events, volunteer retention and related activities
- Performs other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience in a dental practice serving diverse populations, preferably including caring for patients with multiple barriers such as poverty, language, mental illness or unstable housing; FQHC experience highly desired
- Excellent and sincere customer service
- Skilled at teaching patients of all ages about oral hygiene and prevention; bilingual skills valued
- Knowledge of Federal, State and institutional regulations and guidelines for providing dental outpatient care
- Ability to set up and prepare dental equipment and instrumentation in accordance with established regulations and guidelines
- Ability to perform a full range of established dental hygienist/expanded practice protocols and procedures
- Knowledge of patient admission, triage, referral, transfer, and discharge procedures and documentation
- Knowledge of patient screening, charting and medical history procedures and documentation
- Ability to assess the nature and extent of dental disease and associated conditions and pathology in patients
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical co-workers
- Ability to manage the dental office infection control plan to meet OSHA, CDC and ADA standards
- Strong computer skills in a Windows-based environment, and with electronic health records and practice management systems; experience with EPIC preferred
- Displays respect, kindness and compassion towards all Wallace patients, staff, volunteers and community partners, including continually striving to create a culturally-competent workplace
- Maintains patient confidentiality
- Able to work effectively at all levels in a collaborative team environment
- Accepts and offers guidance and supervision in a constructive and appropriate manner
- Places a high value on personal and departmental performance excellence and meeting financial and productivity goals for the dental program
- Responds professionally to high-pressure situations, time limits and change
- Works independently, with little or no supervision
EDUCATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
- Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH), with a current license to practice in the state of Oregon, and with a certification for administering local anesthesia
- An Expanded Practice Dental Hygiene Permit is strongly preferred
- CPR certification
- Pursues appropriate CEUs as required to maintain licensure and to stay abreast of advances in the field
- Work is performed primarily in an office/clinic environment, with some time spent in the community or on Wallace’s mobile medical van. Some evening or weekend hours are required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Requires ability to sit, stand, lift, carry, walk, read fine print, and communicate in person, in writing, by telephone and electronically.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling average-weight objects up to 15-20 pounds, assisting with patients and standing and/or walking for most of the day.
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements such as extreme temperatures, unpleasant odors and/or loud noises.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions, and may include the use of protective equipment.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training.
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing why you'd be a great fit for this role. Please note applications must include a cover letter to be considered.
Position will remain open until filled.
We value diversity and encourage applications from people of color, individuals from low-income backgrounds, and other populations served by the Wallace Medical Concern.