Position Title: Dental Assistant / Expanded Function Dental Assistant
Salary: Competitive, DOE; Generous Benefits Package
Status/Hours: 40 hours per week
Reports to: Dental Practice Manager
ABOUT THIS POSITION
As a key part of Wallace’s dental team, our Dental Assistants will support dentists, hygienists and dental students in providing professional, high-quality oral health care and education to a broad range of patients. This position also offers assistance where needed to ensure smooth, efficient running of the dental program and participates in ongoing evaluation of operations to assure delivery of outstanding patient care as well as financial sustainability of the clinic. Since comprehensive oral health care is a new service at Wallace, we are seeking Dental/Expanded Practice Assistants with at least one to two years of experience, ideally at a community health center.
ABOUT THE WALLACE MEDICAL CONCERN
The Wallace Medical Concern mission statement: “We provide an open door to exceptional health services and connections that support individuals and their families in healthy living.”
The Wallace Medical Concern (WMC) is a Federally Qualified Health Center that is making a visible difference in improving the health outcomes of our community. As a rapidly growing patient-centered primary care home, we’re committed to offering high quality programs based on the most promising and progressive best practices. We’re deeply rooted in our dynamic, vibrant, multi-cultural--and underserved--community. We believe that health care extends beyond the exam room, and focus on serving the whole person with support and resources that engage them fully in creating good health.
JOIN THE WALLACE TEAM
The WMC staff is our greatest asset in providing essential, high-quality health services to the greater Portland area. And as the community we support grows, our team grows with it. We offer an exceptional workplace the values individual contributions, cultural diversity, and ongoing learning.
When you join our team, you will…
…Bring good health to overlooked and underserved individuals and families in our community
…Collaborate with dedicated staff and volunteers an open, cooperative and respectful environment
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performance expectations—for all Dental Assistants:
- Prepares and maintains dental instruments, supplies and equipment, including taking inventory and reordering as necessary
- Maintains proper aseptic techniques necessary with dental equipment; cleans and properly sterilizes instruments and records all sterilization activities; helps manage the dental office infection control plan to meet OSHA, CDC and ADA standards
- Prepares the operatory for patient visits, including cleaning, disinfecting and restocking the room
- Scans reception room for patients and helps to manage patient flow
- Seats patient in chair and explains procedures to be performed; Collects and records patient health histories
- Drapes patient with protective linens and sets up instrument tray containing instruments, suction, gauze and other required supplies
- Prepares dental materials—cements, amalgams, composites, impression materials, etc.
- Assists with dental charting as appropriate
- Assists in the prevention and management of dental emergencies
- Manages the patient during dental procedures
- Provides active chairside assistance; transfers instruments as appropriate for four-handed dentistry; anticipates the dentist’s needs
- At the conclusion of the procedure, assists patient, clears work site of instruments and other materials; follows proper infection control protocols and prepares the operatory for the next patient
- Monitors and documents the flow of laboratory cases; maintains lab facility
Additional Performance Expectations—for specifically certified Expanded Function Dental Assistants:
- Takes and prepares radiographs using conventional or digital technology and following proper radiation safety precautions (requires specific certification in Oregon)
- Applies topical fluoride and varnishes, and pit and fissure sealants
- Polishes coronal surfaces of patient’s teeth (without high-speed instruments) to remove stains/soft deposits and polishes amalgams or composite surfaces
- Fabricates, preliminarily fits and removes temporary crowns for final cementation; places temporary restorative materials and removes excess cement from fabricated restorations
- Takes impressions for study casts, athletic mouth guards and custom trays. Performs laboratory procedures neatly and efficiently. Pours models with no bubbles, properly trims models, polishes dental prostheses, and makes vac-u-press forms
Wallace Team Member
- Complies with all applicable laws and fully cooperates with the Wallace compliance program
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement initiatives
- Participates in health literacy events, volunteer retention and related activities
- Performs other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- At least one to two years of experience in a dental practice serving diverse populations, preferably including caring for patients with multiple barriers such as poverty, language, mental illness or unstable housing; FQHC experience highly desired
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Excellent and sincere customer service
- Skilled at teaching patients of all ages about oral hygiene and prevention; bilingual skills valued
- Knowledge of Federal, State and institutional regulations and guidelines for the provision of dental outpatient services
- Ability to set up and prepare dental equipment and instrumentation in accordance with established regulations and guidelines
- Ability to manage the dental office infection control plan to meet OSHA, CDC and ADA standards
- Maintains and expands current level of dental assistant skill and knowledge by periodically attending continuing education programs
- Strong computer skills in a Windows-based environment, and with electronic health records and practice management systems; experience with EPIC preferred
- Displays respect, kindness and compassion toward all Wallace patients, staff, volunteers and community partners; continually strives to create a culturally competent workplace
- Maintains patient confidentiality
- Able to work effectively at all levels in a collaborative team environment
- Accepts and offers guidance in a constructive and appropriate manner
- Places a high value on personal and departmental performance excellence and meeting financial and productivity goals for the dental program
- Responds professionally to high-pressure situations, time limits and change
- Certified by the Oregon Board of Dentistry as a Dental Assistant or Expanded Function Dental Assistant, with Radiological Proficiency certification
- Pursues appropriate CEUs as required to maintain certifications and to stay abreast of advances in the field
- High School Diploma or GED
- CPR certification
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Work is performed primarily in an office/clinic environment, with some time spent in the community or on Wallace’s mobile medical van. Some evening or weekend hours are required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Requires ability to sit, stand, lift, carry, walk, read fine print, and communicate in person, in writing, by telephone and electronically.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling average-weight objects up to 15-20 pounds, assisting with patients and standing and/or walking for most of the day.
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements such as extreme temperatures, unpleasant odors and/or loud noises.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions, and may include the use of protective equipment.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training.
Please send your resume and a cover letter indicating why you are an excellent candidate for this position. Please note your application must include a cover letter to be considered.
This position will remain open until filled.
We value diversity and encourage applications from people of color, individuals from low-income backgrounds, and other populations served by the Wallace Medical Concern.