Patient Outreach & Enrollment Specialist
Position Title: Patient Outreach & Enrollment Specialist
Salary: $18 per hour
Status/Hours: Non-exempt, 40 hours per week
Reports to: Outreach and Patient Support Manager
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Patient Outreach & Enrollment Specialist is often the first welcoming connection our patients have with our organization. This position is responsible for performing outbound calls to new patients of The Wallace Medical Concern to inform them of services offered and to schedule their first appointment with the clinics. This position also facilitates enrollment of eligible patients and service area residents into affordable health insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace and Medicaid, assists with Federal Poverty Level (FPL) screening for current patients, and provides education and outreach to new and existing patients with the goal of enrolling them in health insurance.
ABOUT THE WALLACE MEDICAL CONCERN
The Wallace Medical Concern mission statement: “We provide an open door to exceptional health services and connections that support individuals and their families in healthy living.”
The Wallace Medical Concern (WMC) is a Federally Qualified Health Center that is making a visible difference in improving the health outcomes of our community. As a rapidly growing patient-centered primary care home, we’re committed to offering high quality programs based on the most promising and progressive best practices. We’re deeply rooted in our dynamic, vibrant, multi-cultural--and underserved--community. We believe that health care extends beyond the exam room, and focus on serving the whole person with support and resources that engage them fully in creating good health. Our clinic operates as a primary care home to a diverse population of clients including but not limited to people who are underserved, marginalized, low income, and experiencing homelessness.
JOIN THE WALLACE TEAM
The WMC staff is our greatest asset in providing essential, high-quality health services to the greater Portland area. And as the community we support grows, our team grows with it. We offer an exceptional workplace the values individual contributions, cultural diversity, and ongoing learning.
When you join our team, you will…
…Be a part of a team committed to helping underserved members of our community
…Work with others in a respectful, collaborative, open environment
…Make a positive difference in the lives of others
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with partner agencies to enroll shared clients or provide education regarding enrollment and eligibility.
- Attend health fairs and other community events to promote the community’s knowledge around affordable health insurance coverage.
- Be certified to enroll clients in the Oregon Health Plan or commit to becoming certified within 30 days of hire.
- Facilitate enrollment of eligible patients and community members into affordable health insurance coverage through the Oregon Marketplace
- Run reports of uninsured patients and make outreach calls or send letters to assist with questions and enrollment
- Outreach will include working with residents inside and outside of Rockwood Community
- Perform a variety of office tasks, including photocopying, typing, faxing, telephone calls and other general duties as directed
- Identify and assist eligible patients with enrollment, and follow-up to ensure successful enrollment
- Verify insurance for all new patients and existing patients prior to appointments
- Obtain and verify patient income and assess information in a confidential atmosphere
- Review eligibility requirements with clients
- Review the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) guidelines for the Oregon Health Plan (OHP) with patients
- Maintain a tracking system of all applicants
- Forward applications and supporting documents to OHP and/or other offices as appropriate
- Attend meetings to keep updated with any changes regarding OHP
Patient Calls and Customer Service
- Call and welcome new patients to answer general questions, introduce them to our services, and schedule their first appointment
- Maintain an environment conducive to patient comfort and confidentiality
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Track and report call data
- Manage new patient call lists provided by insurance payers
- Schedule dental and medical appointments
- Conducts new patient registration in the EPIC system
- Promote accuracy and efficiency of scheduling process
- Assist with rescheduling as needed
- Store, maintain and protect the integrity and security of patient files in EPIC and process paperwork according to HIPAA guidelines
- Support the Receptionist and Scheduling Coordinators and fill-in if needed
Wallace Team Member
- Maintain strict patient confidentiality
- Work as member of the patient support team
- Provide assistance to all medical personnel as required
- Maintain positive working relationship with all staff in all departments
- Update policies and procedures as needed
- Create new patient forms as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement activities according to organizational goals
- Comply with all applicable laws and fully cooperate with the Wallace compliance program
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Bilingual/multilingual speakers highly encouraged to apply.
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- At least 1 year of experience in medical office setting, or 2 years of experience in high volume, direct public contact position
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written
- Exceptional customer service
- Attention to detail
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Solid computer skills (Microsoft Windows, Office)
- Community Health Worker certification
- Knowledge of medical and insurance terminology
- Experience assisting clients with multiple barriers including poverty, language, mental illness, or housing
- Experience doing eligibility screenings for services
- Experience with electronic medical record a plus
Duties are performed primarily in an office and clinic environment. Some evening or weekend hours may be required.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Requires ability to sit, stand, lift, carry, walk, read fine print, and communicate in person, in writing, by telephone and electronically.
Please attach your resume and cover letter addressing why you are an excellent candidate for the position.
Note that applications without cover letters will not be considered.
This position will remain open until filled.
The Wallace Medical Concern is an inclusive organization that values diversity. Those with experience working alongside culturally specific communities, marginalized groups, and applicants with lived experience around issues of poverty are all encouraged to apply.